Saturday, July 02, 2005

How technology has changed in my lifetime

This month's destination at Scrapsahoy was Greece and the theme was time. The first thing that popped in my mind was how technology had changed in my lifetime.
I am not that old - LOL, but in my 32 years on this planet I have seen a lot of changes in technology:

* I will never forget the first time dad came home with a gigantic box and told us he had purchased a VCR. Back than VCR's were rare and rather expensive. Mom's face lit up with pure joy and Sabine and I just stood around looking at the silver monster not sure what to think of it.

* I studied law only for 4 semesters but I remember typing my first term paper on a typewriter that was equipped with a floppy disk! Back than I felt like it was "hot stuff". When I moved on and studied Business, I got my very first PC and remember that it completely intimidated me for the longest time. I was scared to death that pushing the wrong bottom would delete everything but on the other side was intrigued at the possibilities it offered....

* Than came internet... years ago while still living in Germany we a monthly internet fee and also phone charges based on how long you stayed on the net. The purpose back than was to gather information as quickly as possible and get out of the internet ASAP. Nowadays.... I couldn't imagine a day without the net. It connects me to information, friends, to sites where I can share my passion about scrapbooking and stamping and to email that has become very important esp. since the 9 hours time difference to Germany doesn't allow me during the week to call home as either my family is asleep or at work or I am.

* My first CD player... and my first CD's. I still remember that I purchased "The Cure" and "The Smiths" and was so excited. Look at us now... now it's downloading music from the internet and IPods (yes, and I still have my eyes on that Photo Ipod)~smile

* Cellphones - for some a curse for others indispensible. There has been much discussion about driving and cellphones... my take on it is that yes, they can distract a driver but so can other people in the car, food to are trying to eat, music you are listening too... I like using my cellphone on my way home from work to stay in touch with friends. The commute is stop and go traffic and it's nice to make the drive a little more enjoyable.

* Medicine - still waiting for the cure of cancer and hoping to see it in my lifetime. Technology has progressed so much that I am convinced that one day (hopefully soon) someone finds this cure.

My list could go on and on...
I am curious to see what technology has in stock for us in the next few years! ... and of course on top of my list is that I am praying for cures in medicine!

No comments: